All About Amelia, Simon & Hannah

All About Amelia, Simon & Hannah

Friday, August 7, 2009

A desert garden

I'm not sure I'll ever get used to (or ever fully appreciate) the desert landscape. There are places in San Diego where it seems like the rocks and barren soil run right up to the sandy beach, with palm trees and man-forced flowers thrown in for beauty. So when I loaded us up to visit the botanical gardens this week, it just didn't occur to me that this might be a dirty, dusty outing for us. Once I resigned myself to the fact we'd all be going home with brown-colored everything (feet, shoes, pants, fingernails, stroller, even faces) we had a really great time. Wednesday, the day of our visit, was arts and crafts day in the Garden of Wonder, the adorable children's area. We potted our own plant, did some painting, glued together paper lady bugs and sculpted playdough. Si tried to eat everything and was mesmerized by the elaborate toy train set-up. It turned out to be a surprisingly fun morning.





Si's hanging out in the cute playhouse, eating dirt I'm sure.


"Happy Birthday, Mommy"


"I made you a birthday cake."

Dinosaur sculpture...


...complete with dino eggs!

No comments: