All About Amelia, Simon & Hannah

All About Amelia, Simon & Hannah

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

My Little...Adventurer???

If you know Millie, you know that she has a TON of fantastic qualities about her.  And like me, you'd probably never list "adventurous" or "physically courageous" among them.  Let me tell you, her school field-trip to Watermarks Camp last week showed me an entirely new side of my girl.

For example:

She was the first to low-crawl thru the woods.


ZIP LINE!  Not even kidding here.  Millie is up really high...that rope is probably 20 feet off the ground at its high end.  This is one of the camp assistants getting her psyched up for the journey.  


The catch.  I am stunned that this happened.  Not only did she go down this thing without tears, she was the very first volunteer...she nearly ran to climb up the ladder.  Later at home when I told Christopher about it, the dad AND the lawyer in him just couldn't believe there wasn't some harness system to keep these kids attached to the wire.  Nope...just awesome bravery by the four year olds.


The kids even got to go canoeing.  Once again, Christopher insisted that 1) Millie's life-jacket be double-secured by a professional (could she wear two of them???) and 2) My pregnant self should not even attempt to get in that small boat, what with my questionable sense of balance and all.  So Mils went out with a teacher and another mom and two of her classmates.



There was fishing.  Mainly sitting and picking grass.  As Millie explained to the well-prepared dad who brought fishing poles, a tackle box AND live worms, "We're just not big fishers in our family."


Getting harnessed-up for the climbing wall.


She was more into the dangling, less into the climbing part of rock-climbing.


And this is where my four year old flashed forward 10 years right in front of my eyes.  Tether ball.  She looked so grown up to me here, laughing and playing and running around with her friends.  Man, I must be pregnant if scenes like this bring tears to my eyes.


What a fun day at camp!

1 comment:

LB said...

Way to go, Millie! 20 ft off the ground & no harness is nuts! And I'm right there with you, Stacey. I cry looking at my kids at least once a day since about 8 months pregnant and still going strong!
LauraB.