All About Amelia, Simon & Hannah

All About Amelia, Simon & Hannah

Monday, November 8, 2010

Farewell, Gankie

And just like that, it's gone.


One day Mils and I are having a casual conversation with her pediatrician about how she should start thinking about trying to stop sucking her thumb. Later that night, all on her own, she decides to stash her BELOVED blanket away in a drawer in the closet so that she would not be tempted by it.  In her astoundingly mature line of reasoning, she determined that when she had her blanket she always wanted to suck her thumb, so she would eliminate the temptation altogether.  WHAT????  How in the world did you develop this kind of willpower, sweet girl?


Of course, I had to turn away when I saw what was happening.  My eyes filled with tears.  This just seems like such a milestone in the journey from little girl to big girl.  It's been about two weeks now and we haven't seen the blanket at all, and the callouses on her thumb are starting to soften.  My heart still hurts a bit, though. That blanket saw us all through some big adventures and some tough goodbyes.


I am so very, very proud of this girl.  Really, she amazes me every day.  And as I sit here crying at the computer I am reminded just how fast time marches on.  These are such precious days.

No comments: