All About Amelia, Simon & Hannah

All About Amelia, Simon & Hannah

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Deployment Updates

Many of you remember that back in 2004 Christopher deployed to Iraq for six months on the ground with the Seals.  While he was out there he sent back weekly-ish updates about his 'adventures' called "Iraq Updates".  Well, he has picked the habit back up and is sending out "Deployment Updates" from the Enterprise.  Now that they've crossed into the Med, these updates are really getting interesting.  I've copied one of the latest reports below.  It seems to give a good summary of his last two weeks.  And, of course, if you'd like to be added to his list, just shoot me an email or leave a comment.

****************************************

March 24, 2012
Friends,

Well I guess I probably have something in common with Donald Trump this week – no, not the hair – I took a helicopter to work three times.  It’s been crazy busy for me since the last time I sent you an update – which is why it’s been so long – but things are going well.

The focus of my effort this past week was to get around to all of the different units that make up the Carrier Strike Group and conduct training on the Rules of Engagement (ROE).  Basically training them on the rules that apply whether they are flying into Afghanistan, conducting a counter-piracy mission, boarding a vessel to verify its country of registry, or transiting through a strait – you name it they have to be prepared to do it since we’re not really sure exactly what we’ll be called upon to do when we make it there.  A week ago I gave briefs to all seven of our aviation squadrons – 7 briefs in 8 hours made for a long afternoon but they generated some interesting discussions.  I also briefed the various watch standers on the ENTERPRISE as well – 17 slightly different briefs in all.

Probably the highlight of my week though were the helicopter rides over to our other ships.  I was able to visit three of our four ships this week and hopefully will make it to our fourth one before we make it through the Suez.  The skill that it takes to land these helicopters on a rather small platform on the back of a ship that is not only moving forward but is also bobbing up and down in the waves is truly amazing.  These guys make it look routine and act like it’s no big deal.  I’ve take a bunch of helicopter rides in my time in the Navy but had never gotten to land on the back of a small ship until this week.  The pilots need to put the helo precisely on a clamp that will hold them on the deck.  All that and the weather wasn’t too great for a couple of the flights either.  It was definitely an exciting way to get to work.

One of the ships that I traveled to this week was the JAMES E. WILLIAMS.  A real small world story: when I flew over to the JAMES E. WILLIAMS the pilot who flew me over was a friend of mine from San Diego.  He’s married to a Navy JAG and is now stationed in Mayport, FL.  The helo Detachment on the JAMES E. WILLIAMS is from his squadron and he’s the officer in charge.  It was nice to know that I was in good hands and it was great to catch up with him onboard.  I’ve attached a picture of us in the hangar bay of the WILLIAMS.  For those of you who have never met me I’m the bald guy on the left.

Once on board I conducted briefs in the wardroom (where the officers eat) and then separate briefs for the Visit Board Search and Seizure (VBSS) teams.  These are the young guys that go and board vessels whether it be for counter piracy or maritime interception operations.  The seas were a bit rough for a few of the briefs so I had to have a wide stance while I was giving my brief since it would have been pretty embarrassing to fall over in front of the whole crew.  I got to drive one of the ships for a while and it’s not really the easiest thing in the world – I’m just glad we weren’t really close to anything.  The picture attached was taken on one of my return trips back to ENTERPRISE.  You can see the weather wasn’t too great but it was a pretty cool scene anyway.

And to top it all off I was able to have one of the pilots take me down to the hangar bay and get me into an F-18 so I could look around the cockpit and see what he sees when he’s flying.  He got the power on the jet and turned all the instruments on and explained it all to me.  The multi-tasking that they have to do – even when there are two of them in the jet – is pretty amazing.  It’s good for me to see and understand that though so that I have a better context when I brief them on the ROE that they need to follow when they are flying.

Well, we’re steadily making our way towards our first port visit in Greece.  That should be an adventure as I’ve never been there before and it’s always interesting when an aircraft carrier with over 5,000 people pulls into a foreign port.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers – they definitely helped pull me through this week.

Christopher


1 comment:

Sharon Simon said...

Stacey,
I would love to be added to Christopher's deployment updates. It is both interesting and a great reminder to pray for him and for the four of you holding down this side of the Atlantic.
Love from DC,
Sharon
sharon.simon@summa6.com