All About Amelia, Simon & Hannah

All About Amelia, Simon & Hannah

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Longest Week


It's public information now: the Enterprise heads out to sea on Sunday morning.  I can't believe this is it.  I'm in a constant state of wiping away fresh tears and turning my face to hide them from the kids.  The lump in my throat grows by the day.  I feel overwhelmed by all that needs to be done but also the intense desire to just lock all the doors and sit still with each other.

And Oh Lord Help Me when I look at Christopher playing with Hannah.  In my quiet moments with our perfect little girl I just feel so sad for all that Christopher is going to miss.  She is seven months now.  He'll be gone for seven months.  Literally, a whole lifetime.  What will she look like?  Will she be walking?  Will she know the sound of his voice and remember his smile?

So we are making plans for the send off on Sunday morning.  It's so hard to prepare for the unknown...I don't know what Sunday will feel like for us, but I imagine it might not feel so great for Christopher either.  I am so proud of him, so thankful for what he has chosen to do with his life.  It gives me comfort that he likes his work and that it is important.  I know we'll all be fine.

OK.  Here we go.

2 comments:

Katherine, Anna's Mom said...

Sending hugs, love, and prayers your way.

Sharon Simon said...

Oh, I will be praying on Sunday and in the coming months for each of you. I have done this several times myself (including the day we came home from the hospital with our first child). My heart is tender for the journey before you!